Improving your dental health is one of the simplest and most beneficial resolutions you could make in the new year. To improve your smile, you don’t need to go on a drastic diet or go to the gym — all you have to do is keep a few easy New Year’s resolutions and keep up with regular checkups at Fifth Avenue Dental Arts.
Your smile’s health impacts your overall wellness (it’s true; gum disease can statistically increase your chances of serious medical disorders.) So, why not make 2023 the year you do something that makes you smile more attractive and improves your health?
Why Your Dental Health Matters
We often look at lifestyle changes that will improve the quality of our lives and the way we look. While you might be looking to improve your smile for cosmetic reasons, a smile with active periodontal infections will raise your risk of…
- Heart attack
- Premature Labor
- Erectile dysfunction
You can reduce your chances of tooth decay, gum disease, and tooth loss by making simple changes and following these resolutions in 2023:
- Brush After Every Meal. Do you brush your teeth at least twice a day? Why not after each meal? Keep a to-go oral hygiene kit in your purse or desk drawer.
- Remember to Floss. It’s important that you realize food particles can build up between your teeth, eventually leading to decay, gum disease, and bad breath. Toothbrushes won’t be able to remove anything in those spaces, which is why flossing matters so much. A water or air flosser might be an option if flossing is difficult for you. Or you can use floss picks!
- Increase Your Water Intake. Water is good for your health and your smile. It’s a natural cleanser and contains zero calories! Drinking water between meals can help prevent tooth decay by removing acids and food debris. Fluoridated tap water is not only more effective in preventing tooth decay than bottled water, but it’s also less expensive!
- Alter Your Diet. It doesn’t have to be major. Sugar and acidic liquid intake should be reduced to lower the risk of tooth decay. Sugary foods such as soda, sports drinks, and fruit juices have high sugar levels. Processed carbs also raise your risk of dental plaque, which secretes acid on your teeth.
- Get a Whitening Treatment. It doesn’t matter how healthy your teeth are; stained or yellowed teeth make it challenging to smile confidently. Fifth Avenue Dental Arts offers professional teeth whitening in San Diego that will give you exceptional results. A simple whitening procedure can make you feel more confident when you’re laughing or talking around other people.
- Replace Missing Teeth. A missing tooth can lead to permanent changes in your smile’s function and alignment. Too much space between teeth can lead to alignment problems throughout your smile. Some teeth tilt over. Other teeth “super-erupt” from the socket. To prevent shifting, it is important to replace those teeth as soon as you can.
Get Regular Check-ups at a Dental Clinic Near You
Typically, you need to visit our San Diego dentist’s office once every six months to have your teeth professionally cleaned and examined. Our hygienists will use special tools that allow them to reach the most difficult areas of your mouth and remove tartar and plaque that your toothbrush left behind. This reduces the likelihood of you developing decay in these areas.
We will also take digital x-rays of your teeth as needed to check for any early signs of decay or gum disease. Our dentist does more than simply examine your teeth. We’ll also examine your jaw to determine if there is a TMJ disorder and screen for signs of oral cancer.
Visit Us Today
Give us a call to schedule your next checkup or consultation! We’re happy to help you keep your New Year’s resolutions on track.